Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (And How to Avoid!)

Before we tell you how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, let us aware you about the basics.


What Is Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning?

CO is a gas that’s found in combustion fumes and is both colourless as well as odourless. The gas is produced by fireplaces, heaters, car engines, charcoal grillers, car mufflers and portable generators. This way, to some extent, we are all exposed to CO gas. But, when the exposure level increases, it results in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning: How Does It Happen?

Inhaling a certain amount of carbon monoxide on a daily basis is a common thing. However, when it gets trapped inside poorly ventilated spaces, it becomes a problem for human and animal health. The gas can accumulate in your bloodstream and lead to severe tissue damage. CO poisoning is life-threatening. So, identify the symptoms of CO poisoning and immediately call the emergency numbers.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The most common CO-poisoning symptoms are:

  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Mild to a severe headache
  • Difficulty in breathing

When you are breathing CO in larger amounts, it can also cause unconsciousness or even result in death.

How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning?

The gas is called a silent killer as it does not have a taste, odour or any visible colour. This way, more and more people are the risk of being affected. So, it is important for you to prepare yourself and protect your loved ones.

  1. Thoroughly inspect your heating systems including ducts and chimneys.
  2. Portable generators need to be kept outside your house that too at least 20 feet away from the windows.
  3. Heaters must not be left unattended.
  4. No matter how tempted you are, do not use your grillers in closed spaces like a garage.
  5. Cooking ranges must not be used in place of a heating appliance.
  6. Annually check your car’s exhaust system and do not leave it running in your garage.
  7. Keep a check on your vent pipes and do not let them loosen or disconnect.
  8. When there’s excessive moisture inside your house on cold surfaces or windows, it’s a sign of CO buildup. Keep a check on the same.
  9. Try and keep all the important information handy. For instance, keep a record of all the necessary emergency numbers someplace where they remain easily accessible.
  10. Another helpful way to avoid CO poisoning is by installing a Carbon Monoxide detector. It’s a battery-powered device that alerts you about the high CO levels in spaces like the basement or garage.

How Can Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Be Treated?

  1. Keep your house well-ventilated. In case of a leakage, immediately evacuate the construction.
  2. Know about the potentially dangerous signs and symptoms.
  3. Get medical assistance and do not ignore the signs. You’ll be asked to go for a few tests and certain medications will also be prescribed along with suggesting you a few lifestyle changes.

1 thought on “Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (And How to Avoid!)”

  1. How long should you keep a carbon minoxide poisoning detector be kept? Can they become too old?

Comments are closed.